Mac Magazines Are Priced Different

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been busy and only been really using the MBP for screenwriting with Screenwriter 6 because it is so light and small. A bunch of the keyboard shortcuts that the Windows version has are missing, which is a bit of a drag. However, an interesting plug-in called Streamline, which scans scripts for places where slight edits can pick up substantial reductions in page count is only available for the Mac at this time, so even if I write on one of my Windows machines, I run it thru the Mac's setup to Streamline it.

Anyway, I was looking at the magazine rack at the Big Food Store (aka Costco) when I came across the Snow Leopard Genius Guide, a fairly comprehensive, consumer-level magazine with "178 pages of essential tips and techniques" promised on the cover. It actually looked pretty useful until I flipped back to the cover and looked at the price sticker....

$29.99!!!!

Egads! I've seen plenty of imported computer graphics, Photoshop, and music mags from this outfit on the stands at Borders and they usually run $14-$16, allowing for shipping and exchange rates. But even converting the £12.99 price to good ol' U.S. greenbacks is still a shade under $20, so $30 is a pretty steep tariff for a sub-200-page magazine. I want a 350+ page book for my Jackson and Hamilton. Needless to say, it went unpurchased due to the endemic overpricing of everything connected with Apple products and accessories.

0 comments: